zp and yf

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Friday, September 18, 2009

my 32m2 apartment

my 32m2 apartment- is a book wrote by Gary Chang- an architect from Hong Kong. i get to know this book from yahoo news, and it interested me after reading the review. when i were in HK, i spend an hour at Kubrick bookstore to finish this book, wanted to buy it but i feel this is abit expensive, which cost sgd 43. i back to singapore with a little of regretful.... so, this time when Frank went to Hong Kong, i urged him to get this book for me, and here it goes.... :)

A brief intro about this brilliant architect on how he transformed his little apartment to a multi-tasks, multi-function house:

Architect Gary Chang has lived in the same 32 square metre apartment for over 30 years - since he was 14 years old. ‘My whole family – my parents, my three younger sisters, and me – used to live here. To make ends meet, my parents also rented out one of the rooms to an outsider, a woman in her late twenties. Then the room was rented to her younger brother. I vaguely recall our ‘room tenant’ stayed in our flat for around two years. Thereafter, the flat became home…for the six of us.’ Living in a tiny rented space with a large family was not uncommon in 1960s and 70s Hong Kong. Chang has not only developed a unique sensitivity towards small interior spaces and an interest in architectural design, but also finds endless fun, entertainment, and joie de vivre in his living environment. He now lives in and enjoys this 32m2 apartment by himself. The apartment has been gone through five different interior settings – in 1976, 1988, 1990, 1998 and 2007. More than a simple interior design story, this book illustrates the transformation of a living space and how people respond to different spatial settings.


Frank bought me this little 万花筒 as souvenir, design by an illustrator named Carrie Chau.

Everything look so beautiful and fanciful when you use that to view the world....

No comments:

Post a Comment